The Social Enterprise Symposium (SES) is one of the largest annual events on the University of Maryland’s campus that focuses on interactive learning and entrepreneurial thinking with a social impact mindset. Created and hosted by the Center for Social Value Creation (CSVC), the February 27 event will bring together students, faculty and business leaders from across the region to explore positive social, environmental and economic change through a variety of lenses.
“SES is important to the UMD community because it welcomes faculty and staff from all disciplines to explore how business (and business principles) can help advance economic, social, and environmental well being,” said Kim Glinka, Associate Director at the Center for Social Value Creation. “This year in particular we’ve partnered with academic allies to explore these topics through specific academic lenses. Partners in the School of Public Policy, Arts and Humanities, Behavioral and Social Sciences, and the Academy for Innovation and Entrepreneurship will each lead workshops and breakout sessions.”
This year, UMD and the CSVC are thrilled to welcome Shira Shafir, Director of Social Impact at TOMS Shoes as the keynote speaker. (BTW, word on the street is that discount coupons for TOMS products will be handed out before Shira Shafir’s morning presentation! You won’t want to miss it!)
Other exciting sessions planned for the Symposium include:
- The “Afternoon Buzz” – a main stage feature fueled by caffeine and high-impact ideas
- Remarks from University of Maryland Provost Mary Ann Rankin
- Stamp Student Union “Green Choices” Sustainability Tour
- Breakout Sessions and Work Groups:
- “Unleashing Your Inner Innovator – Using Design Thinking to Solve Social Problems”
- “Investing in Women: Fostering Female Social Entrepreneurs”
- “Artist & Innovator: Harnessing the Arts & Humanities for Social Change”
- “Tackling Hard Problems: Can Social Entrepreneurs Impact Security and Development?”
- “Science for Social Impact: A UMD Showcase”
- “Experiential Education & Skillanthropy: An Exploratory Workshop with Grameen Foundation”
- A student innovation showcase where aspiring social entrepreneurs prepare for ‘Do Good Challenge’ semi-finals
- A closing dessert reception with facilitated networking
Click here for a detailed Agenda & Registration Information.
WHAT: 7th Annual Social Enterprise Symposium
WHERE: Stamp Student Union, University of Maryland
WHEN: February 27, 2015 | 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
COST: Free for UMD students, faculty and staff. Space is limited!
RSVP today at www.rhsmith.umd.edu/ses.
And, be sure to follow the Symposium on social media at #SES15.